15 April 2009

Yummy Summertime

If I want to eat melons in the Summer, it begins now. I built a small bed in the front yard, over a patch of dead grass, with full sun.



First, the bed is filled part way with poor, rocky soil left over from my neighbors' fence project, which gives the bed good drainage (and gets the unsightly soil pile out of my backyard).



Then a mixture of good soil and compost goes on top.



I don't trust the weather to warm the soil up fast enough for melon seeds, so I'll jack the temp with some warming black plastic. Once the soil warms - 2-10 days - I'll plant the seeds of Muskmelon Cantaloupe "Earlichamp".

Yummy.

1 comment:

  1. good ideas and good luck. i'm hoping next week's warm spell will give you a boost. i'm tempted to try it also but i think i already have enough going on.

    ReplyDelete