28 February 2009

Crocus unfurled


Pushing the Middlesex reference firmly from my mind, I do like a little crocus.

These lemon/butter yellow crocii were planted very late in '08, after Thanksgiving maybe, hmm... not sure. **That's why I'm doing a garden journal** I'm happy to see them thrive despite the late start and the Christmas snowpocalypse.

But, then, I've always heard a hard freeze is good for bulbs. Shrug. Perhaps the daffodils and tulips will lend more evidence in the next few weeks.

I planted these crocii near groups first planted in October '07. Those first groups are bright yellow with maroon stripes. I plant yellow in memory of a college acquaintance who died under mysterious circumstances during the '92 "No on 9" campaign. That fall, we planted yellow crocus all over the Reed College campus, and in the spring they bloomed for him. They still do.

No comments:

Post a Comment