18 August 2009

There are tomatoes everywhere.... everywhere!

Since several earlier posts were devoted to preparing for and planting the tomatoes it only seems fair you, my dear reader (yes, I only have one ;)) should reap the harvest. Got tomatoes out the wazoo now.



The Sun Gold cherry variety is a solid performer. Staggered ripening assures a constant but reasonable supply.



The German Green has been disappointing so far. Uneven ripening and trouble with blossom-end rot despite my precautions. I don't need to fuss so much over a tomato when other varieties are producing with no trouble at all. Maybe it will improve in the late season.




The San Marzano has good flavor, texture, and versatility, but disappointing fruit production. One plant has only yielded four fruits so far this season and no new flowers have developed so I think it's done already. If I were to use this variety again I should plant at least three, which perhaps explains the enthusiastic Italian grandma buying all the starts she could find that day at Garden Fever.

3 comments:

  1. you so obviously have at least two readers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tomatoes look beautiful! Are they equally tasty? :)

    ReplyDelete