01 March 2009

3/1/09 - Tasks

Weather and social activities conspired to make this a short day in the garden. There are no short days in the garden, only short gardeners! ... wait...

Today:

* Added a lot more to the to-do list after taking a closer look at some of the beds.

* Pruned storm damage off "cafe ole" roses in back yard. Shhh, don't tell the others, but these very rare roses are pretty much the only plants I would have actually cried about if snowpocalypse had killed them. They are a lovely pale lavender fading to fawn brown, and extremely fragrant. I bought them from a now-closed nursery after being on the waiting list for two years.

* Pruned crab apple on the sidewalk strip. I prune this slow-growing tree every other year.

* New leaves and growth on the aster and bee balm (both planted near the cafe oles). Removed last year's deadwood I had left intact to mark their spot. I use various methods to mark plants which "disappear" over winter so that I won't accidentally dig them up or mistake the first spring growth for a weed.

No comments:

Post a Comment